Director and Co-Founder: Dr Gustav Venter
Gustav is an academic with a primary research interest in the historical intersection between sport, politics and race in the South African context. He holds a PhD in History from Stellenbosch University (2016) and his doctoral thesis explored the changing dynamics of professional football as played under apartheid. Gustav's work has been published internationally, including in The International Journal of the History of Sport as well as The Palgrave International Handbook of Football and Politics. He is currently Head of the Centre for Sport Leadership at Stellenbosch University and has previously been employed within a commercial sport setting for a period of five years. He is a NRF-rated researcher in South Africa (Y-rating).
From a quantitative perspective he also holds a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and is a keen observer of the use of sports analytics in Major League Baseball in the United States, particularly as far as player evaluation is concerned.
Director and Co-Founder: Shaun Rheeder, CA(SA)
Shaun is a qualified Chartered Accountant with the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) in Accounting Sciences from the University of Pretoria. He currently works as an auditor with PwC Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
Shaun has always had a love of cricket from playing as a fast bowler to watching matches and reading scorecards revealing the hidden truths told told through statistics. This initially drove him to create a South African domestic cricket database dating back to the inception of the franchise era as a means for providing some statistical analysis in the public domain on social media. This later resulted in a collaboration with Gustav in the form of a podcast analysing emerging cricketers in South Africa. This project then evolved to formally assisting teams with statistical analysis which has subsequently led to the expansion of the database as well as the formal creation of 12th Man Analytics.
Previous and Current Clients
- VKB Knights (2018/19 season)
- Durban Heat (2019 Mzansi Super League)
- Hollywoodbets Dolphins (since the 2019/20 season up to the present)
- Hollywoodbets Tuskers (sunce the 2021/22 season up to the present)
List of Successes:
- Winners of Momentum One Day Cup (50 over competition)
- Winners of CSA 4-Day Series (first class competition)
- Co-winners of Momentum One Day Cup (50 over competition)
- Runners-up in CSA T20 Challenge (T20 competition)
- Reached all three domestic finals
- Runners-up in CSA T20 Knockout Competition (T20 competition)
- Winners of CSA Division 2 One Day Challenge (50 over competition)